The NZ government is starting to release internal discussions that took place during the uproar over where The Hobbit was going to be filmed.
If you remember, the threat of a boycott initiated by some New Zealand actors who wanted to unionize caused many NZ film industry workers to protest fearing WB would make the film elsewhere.
I’ve always felt that this was not true and that the real reason Peter Jackson and WB were threatening to take The Hobbit away from NZ was a bluff to wrangle more money out of the government.
The NZ Herald is reporting on email statements made by Peter Jackson to the NZ government that show while he was publicly saying the union boycott was a threat, he privately told the NZ government the opposite.
Sir Peter Jackson told the Government he did not believe an international actors’ boycott would force The Hobbit overseas, emails show.
The message, sent to the office of Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee on October 18, is in stark contrast to comments the film-maker made earlier in the month.